Saturday, February 12, 2011

Canadian Breakfast tea

I've always been very fond of the British concept of "breakfast teas."  Strong blends of black teas, a bracing cuppa to help you wake up and begin your day, and a fair contrast to mellower afternoon teas, such as Darjeeling.  English breakfast and all the other variants I've found almost always highlight lots of Assam, a strong, malty Indian tea that plays very well with milk, perhaps a breakfast tea's central characteristic.  (I've read of fancy English breakfast blends made solely of Keemun, but never had one, so I'll leave that as the exception.)  Keemun, Ceylon, Kenyan, or Nilgiri teas are blended with the Assam in different amounts by regional variant and by blender.  Irish Breakfast is perhaps the darkest and most astringent, featuring some amount of Nilgiri blended with the Assam.  Scottish Breakfast, one of my favorites, is as malty as the Irish breakfast, but with a rounder flavor profile and less astringency.  English Breakfast is mellower than it's Celtic cousins (confusingly, both of which were referred to as English Breakfast at one time in their own countries), with a biscuity, buttered toast note to it's profile.

This was it for breakfast teas that I was aware of, until a few weeks ago.  Erin and I were browsing through Culinary Teas, our go-to these days for loose teas, looking for a few old favorites and some new things to try, and we stumbled across Canadian Breakfast tea.  I was immediately intrigued; I don't come across many "traditional" North American tea blends, but pondering it, given (most of, sorry Quebec) Canada's hugely English and hugely hugely Scottish background, it made immediate sense.  We grabbed a 2 oz. pouch to try, amongst several other great teas, with forthcoming reviews (Cream Irish Breakfast is amazing, but that's for another day).

The day the package came in the mail, I had to open the Canadian Breakfast and have at least a nice long smell.  I smiled, and said to my wife, you know, we should really sweeten this with maple syrup, it just seems fitting.  I first had maple tea almost ten years ago, courtesy of my good friend Jacob.  The maple sugar or syrup blends great with the right tea, and it seemed to me, a fine blend from Canada, also known for it's maple sugar, was perfectly appropriate.  I know, an actual New England Breakfast might be more appropriate.  After all, what New Englander doesn't love maple syrup?  It brings to mind images of Vermont farmers tapping maples on a cold winter morning, or perhaps a huge stack of pancakes, drenched in butter and mapley goodness.  Unfortunately, I've yet to find any such local tea blend.

I brewed in the usual steps for black tea.  Four good spoonfuls in my warmed teapot, water at a rolling boil, steep for about four minutes, strain into cups, add sweetener and milk, sniff, sip, and enjoy.

The tea itself is excellent.  Malt notes predominate from the Assam, and I detect a hint of oak (a favorite flavor of mine, I must find out what tea that particular note comes from!), and a nice round flavor and feel on the mouth.  Less malty than the Scots variant of breakfast tea, and not as astringent as the Irish, but bolder then the English.  The maple syrup blended very well with the strong flavors, with the tea and the maple complementing each other, and neither flavor standing out too much.  A good match, it seems, though I'm holding out for an honest to God, New England breakfast tea to mix my maple sugar with next.  Perhaps I'll have to learn to blend tea myself, and create it.

Score:  90 (A-) Another great breakfast tea, I'll be sure to get this again.

2 comments:

  1. I just tripled my knowledge of tea by reading this post!

    The maple barn restaurant and gift shop next door to us sells maple tea that I think is imported from Canada (or at least sold in Canada, as it has French on the tin as well as English). It is Ceylon tea flavored with maple, and I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed the post, and very glad I could be informative!

    That sounds interesting, I'll have to try it someday...and I'm more than a little jealous that you have a maple barn restaurant and gift shop next door.

    ReplyDelete